Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Bad News/Good News Scenario

Jeeminy Criminy! Between email and SnailMail, I had 5 rejections today. Must be a record. 3 form letters, one on such a poor reproduction of the (once) original letter that it looked like it had gone thru a 1980's fax machine. I mean, really! Two came in my email, one courteous and one that called my novel a cozy and when I had the temerity to question if she was answering the right email, I received a link to a "which genre is it" web site and the description of cozy was nothing like World of Mirrors. I suppose the agent was trying to steer me in the right direction, but well, you know, sheisse. I am reading A Death in Vienna which is one of those international spy thrillers and there is an awful lot about the protag's personal life and character and all that sort of thing, along with ungodly coincidences and the bad guys always 6 jumps ahead of the good guys a la Helen McInnes. It smarts to be accused of something the best seller folks are doing.

The good news is that I figured out several major plot points for the ending of Festival Madness while en scene in the Adirondacks, which really rock, by the way. We took a ride in a seaplane, and reveled in local color as well as museums, food, outfitters, lakes, rivers and all that good stuff. I still have a few details to work out, but it was so exhilarating to come up with a good plot twist. Of course, she thought ruefully, what mattereth it , if the freaking books never sell, but this is the book I hope I am doing everything absolutely right from dropping a body on page 3 to merge the plots and subplots into one big whole.

On the other hand, 5 rejects in one day! That does smart. So along with unpacking and laundry, there is some serious sucking up to do. Sigh!

Grapeshot

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome!