Thursday, March 24, 2011

Northwoods Shrimp and Vegetable Salad

Right.  So it was snowing here in New England (again!) today.  Not exactly salad weather, but diet menus tend to emphasize salad, and I had 3/4 pound of shrimp in the freezer, so I decided to try this salad with looked so pretty and colorful.

First mistake:  got confused between recipes and I had sooo many vegetables on this week's shopping list that I  forgot to get the  snap peas.  I had organic carrots and a zucchini and some frozen Snopeg corn.  I decided to use the leftover green beans instead of the peas, but forgot and ate them for lunch with some leftover kickass dressing.  O.K.  The broccoli will do.  And it did.

The other dumb thing was not to check the spice shelf for the Northwoods seasoning.  Duh!  Would have bet good money I had it, but alas, a  dig through the shelf today revealed NO Northwoods seasoning.  This or something like this is nothing new in my life.  Once I set off to make chili without enough chili powder, or curry without curry powder.  Get the picture.

Ha ha!  I went online to the Penzey's catalog and looked up Northwoods seasoning.  I had all the ingredients.  What you have to know about lists of ingredients is that they are listed in order of quantity used.  No problemo.  I got out my spices and cobbled together the spices for the dressing.  Cooked the shrimp and veggies substituting broccoli for the snap peas.

The salad was so delicious, and we had some leftover garlic bread which I heated up, and the snow had stopped, yea, almost melted and Significant Other spotted two ducks in the slough and all was well with the world.

Oh  yeah.  Here is a link to the recipe:  Northwoods Shrimp and Harvest Vegetable Salad     No harvest in sight.  It was really toothsome and so perky with the orange carrots and the yellow corn. I served it on a bed on lettuce strewn with baby arugula.  Yum!  The garlic bread  made the meal a little heartier and there was something hot.  Yowza!

Photo from Penzey's web site:  Note the snap peas, not broccoli
Penzeys Spices

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome!