Sunday, October 10, 2010

Chicken Pot Pie

Roast chicken last night with garlic and lemon and thyme.  Such a heady infusion.  We ate it with mashed potatoes and cauliflower.  The pan drippings made a lovely sauce.  This was a big chicken (4 pounds) and we had generous leftovers.  Tonight I'm whipping up a 2008 Wine and Food recipe for a pot pie.  It's made in a skillet and baked in the oven, and instead of a crust, one takes thickly sliced bread and makes a crust, buttering generously, natch.  Sounds pretty good.  I made a broth from the scraps and bones of the chicken, adding some aromatics.  If I remember, I'll post a photo of the pie if it's gorgeous.

We tend to dig into the meal and remember the photo when the dish has been decimated.  Note to Blog:  It's Gorgeous!

Fall chores mostly done.  Still have cherry and grape tomatoes ripening, an extra unexpected bonus.  The dahlias have a new life, as do the tuberous begonias.  Greedy finches suck the food out of the feeder like it's water.  Woodpecker on the house this a.m.  The cats were most intrigued.   

I just finished reading The Help, and loved it.  Since it's been on the best seller list for 78 weeks, I must be one of the few   still to read.  I read it on my Kindle.   Love that e-reader.

One more chapter to go in my WiP.  Wheee!

Grapeshot

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome!