Sunday, June 21, 2009

Blueberry Pancakes and the Cock of the Walk







One of the best places in Key West is Blue Heaven, a funky restaurant with chickens running about and blueberry pancakes to die for. The gift shop wasn't bad either. Someone on one of my "social networks" recommended Blue Heaven. Thank you. Thank you. Didn't look like much from outside, but once we found the garden with the shade and the chickens and the dynamite menu, everything was wonderful. Good bar, too, but we were just there for breakfast.


I gobbled down three big pancakes that must have had a pint of blueberries scattered throughout. Should have a photo of them, too, just like Stephen Shore photographed his breakfast and motel rooms. Damn.



Of course I was tempted to write Blue Heaven into the book, but it really doesn't belong there, so I'll have to blog it. The coffee was all right and the side order of bacon was cooked to my favorite crispness. Generous, too. Don't you just hate a puny side order or bacon?


I'm posting a few photos of the place. I was too enchanted with the curious chickens to photograph them, but they were a big part of the place, hens, young-un and a rooster, of course, who liked to crow. This was a warm up for Mr. Clucky in South Beach.


Key West in the summer is mucho hot, and we enjoyed the shade. It's tolerable with shade and/or a breeze. I am very fond of places at the end of the road and am hoping to get down to the tip of the Baja before I'm gone.


Grapeshot

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome!