Thursday, January 01, 2009

Happy New Year, I Think


What's all this stuff about "happy?" Do we need happy? Suddenly prosperous has a good sturdy sound. Healthy, now that's good, too, as in affordable health care. How about wishing people, "have a steady job!" Have a car that runs. Hope you keep your house. May you always afford tuition. May you be able to go to the grocery store and buy fresh produce! May you have energy and creativity enough to shop the sales and bargains. Iron your shirts. Wash your sweaters. Change your oil.

I see I have gone too far. So let's have a practical New Year, where we learn such basic stuff as vegetable gardening and home canning and freezing, yea, even drying.

Learn to sew or knit?

Again, I see I have gone too far, but the homemade granola bars I made are mega-yum.

Learn to cook basic stuff from scratch, for heaven's sake. A whole chicken in lieu of parts.

And of course, lose ten pounds. And bring world peace. One about as easy as the other.

I didn't gain any weight this year. Worked out regularly. Wrote regularly. Queried my books. Worked hard. Networked. Gave speeches. Baked bread.

So, it wasn't a bad year if one discounts net worth. My net worth is not my net worth.

We had a cheap New Year's Eve. Watched old home movies. Saw "Elf". (Yuck). Watched the ball drop in Times Square on TV. Had fab home made pizzas with a few creative scrounges.

So. Some kind of New Year. Whatever your little heart desires. Even a frivolous one.

Grapeshot
Happy New Year Photo from Dreams Time

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome!