Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Trash Day - My Garbage Runneth Over and Jeri's Praline Brownies


Not only do houseguests cause more shopping, cooking and laundry, they create more garbage due to the additional shopping and cooking.

Wednesday is trash day, and the street in front of our house looks like an apartment house put out the trash. I mean how could so few people create so much waste, and we recycle all the plastic bags, glass and plastic bottles. Sometimes we sneak into another town's recycling area and surreptitiously leave recyclables. Weird huh?

Of course today was the day the cat litter was also changed, and there must be some law that no matter how large the litter box, someone (usually a cat) will invariably miss, and the hotter the weather, the more likely this is to happen.

S.O. went to Home Depot and bought three of those containers of orange odor eating stuff. One for the store room, one for the furnace room and one for the litter box area.

As the economy worsens, we think of ways to staunch the hemorrhage of money. Don't buy new clothing. You probably have enough stuff in your closet for the next five years. This does not go for socks and underwear, which need to be replaced rather more often. I have found good towels at Kohl's and at Ocean State Job Lot, by the way. Martex brand at the Job Lot. Who knew?

One needs to be a little bit creative and to bone up on recipes like Puerto Rican Rice and Beans, esp. now that the garden will yield tomatoes and peppers for a great linzano sauce. Email me for the recipe.

On the writing front, and there's always a writing front, I am fifty pages into my new book, with plot twists and turns coming faster than space ships. It's so much fun again. All I need is a bad guy. Have to have a bad guy. Or girl. Love those villians.

Have I touted my most favorite summer annual and perrenial flower/tomato food? It's called Super Bloom. (The begonia in the photo shows it in action). My mom introduced it to me, and for a while I bought it in Arizona, then I bought it in Florida. Still have a two year supply, so maybe I'll get back to Florida before I run out. Weird that you can't buy it in these parts. Viva la regional difference.

Today I'm making the world's best brownies, something called "Jeri's Praline Brownies." You can't imagine how good. We're having a Tanglewood weekend soon, and I need to get some goodies into the freezer to take along.

How many blogs give you the best flower food and the best brownies in one post? I'll print the recipe for the brownies for all my e-friends.


Jeri’s Praline Brownies

2 cups sugar
1 cup flour
4 squares bitter chocolate (unsweetened)
3 eggs
½ lb. Butter
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt

Melt chocolate and butter together. Cool. Add sugar and beat until light. Blend in eggs, one at a time. Beat in flour, salt and vanilla.

Topping:
3 tablespoons melted butter (cool slightly).
¾ cup light brown sugar
¾ cup chopped pecans.
Spread topping over unbaked brownies and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Important: Use a 7 x 10 inch pan.

Jeri was a member of the Riverwoods Super Aces, a ladies bridge club once featured in a famous bridge column much to their delight as they yakked and ate as much as they played cards.



Grapeshot

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome!