Saturday, March 08, 2008

Gloomy Saturday

Today I fed the cows in the pouring rain. They looked so wet and bedraggled, and old mama was as mean as ever about hogging the food. The babies might have benefited from a nice dry barn and some hay.

I got dressed for my workout and never went, which means I schlumped around all day in sweat pants and a baggy t-shirt, then an old ratty sweater over that. A fashion statement to be sure.

I am becoming my parents. I misplace things. Lots of things. Sometimes I find them (the kick stool) and sometimes I don't (the family wedding rings). The trick, I have decided, is that once something has a "place," don't move it, because you will never find it again in all your life. Once my mom put her wedding ring in a tea cup while she was doing dishes and didn't find it for years. Ring is missing again, and my fear is that it was lost during our move. So I spend about half my time looking for stuff. Sometimes it's a blazer or my pajama tops. Dumb stuff.

Things appear to get up and move around the house and hide themselves. It is possible to misplace even big stuff. Once I lost my car at O'Hare Airport. Another time I left the lights on while I raced to catch my flight. I have lots of O'Hare stories because we lived in Chicago? Did I ever tell you about the time I was almost strip searched?

In my early stupid years, it was always sort of a game to smuggle some trifle, usually a banned book or a bottle of booze. Don't ever try to sneak in a sausage. The cute little Dept of Agriculture dog with the green coat will find it. He never loses nuthin.

Today's lost or misplaced item required me to clean the worst corner of the "storeroom." In the process I straightened up the office supplies, discovering that we had quadruplicates of everything because the supplies were stored, shall we say, randomly. The whole procedure was ugly, and I have a huge mess on the floor or stuff which could be entirely tossed, but I feel a keen need to sort through it first. And I never found the missing items. They seem to have vanished in the fog of home.

And of course I didn't write one freaking word. Didn't work out. Finally watched the movie, Grand Canyon, which was pretty good but very dated. Cooked dinner. That was about it. Pretty much a wasted day, except the store room sparkles, because the mess is on the office floor.

Well, onward. I believe I'll read some of the magazines which came while we were gone. The mess will not disappear. Why is it that everything else goes missing, but the mess lies there as big as life and in your face? Sometime to ponder.

Definitely onward.

Grapeshot

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome!