Monday, October 30, 2006

Cherokee Nation

What are the odds of this happening? At the writer's group last Monday, one writer mentions being from Tennessee. I ask, "do you have any Cherokee blood?" She says "yes." Another writer pops up that she, too, does. I make three.

None of us looks the least bit native American, except for high cheekbones. But lots of people have high cheekbones. Actually, I have native American on both sides, because my great grandfather was part Canadian French, part Indian, much to the consternation of the family. It was one of those things never spoken of. The great grandchildren think it's an honor and are proud of it. My mother and two of her brothers looked like they carried the bloodline.

One of these days when I have $200 to throw around, I'd like to get one of those DNA tests that show one's ethnic composition from all over the world. Wouldn't that be cool? So many of us have an eighth or a sixteenth of Cherokee. I wonder if anyone has ever explored the millions that make up the new Cherokee Nation?

Always wondering about some damn thing.

Grapeshot

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome!