Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Tout Sweet!

Will someone explain to me why supermarket bread (i.e. not bakery bread) is pumped full of sugar/high fructose corn syrup?  It is impossible to buy a loaf of whole wheat without getting it gunked up with sugar.  Damn near ruined my BLT today.  Why?  Why?  Why?

At  Wilson's Barbecue, I was surprised that the potato salad tasted (wonderfully) sugar free.  Of course, CT being New England, the  corn bread was sweet, but this is New England.  In the South they don't do that.   But will The South Rise Again?  I doubt it.

I've even noticed some of the newer recipes for cakes, cookies, etc. are WAY TOO SWEET.   All this in the middle of obesity and diabetes epidemics and manufacturers are pumping unnecessary sugar into everything.  Why?

Well, look in the mirror.  You, the public have developed a liking for TOO MUCH sugar in your food.  I didn't say sugar, I said too much.    Remember, a spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down.  Hope that was a teaspoon full or even 1/2 teaspoon.  Lemonade is overly sugary.  Cole Slaw might as well be dessert.  We have stopped shopping at the deli counter because all the salads have too much you know what.  Of course, sugar is a preservative, and that saves manufacturers and supermarkets money.  It always comes down to that.  

I grew up back in the day when an ice cream cone or candy was a special occasion.  I seldom had candy until I started going to the movies by myself.  Also got cavities.  Go figure.

We always buy applesauce w/o  sugar.    Sometimes chili con carne (without carne it's not chili, it's just seasoned beans) has too much sugar, like it's been made with baked beans.

The answer is to bake or cook it yourself, but baking bread takes time. Of course the bakery breads are good, and inching toward $5 a pound, they damn well better be good.

I need an answer, or there could be another rant. 

Grapeshot

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome!