Monday, September 06, 2010

Close Encounters of the Avian Kind

Rubythroat at the feeder





Today I took a beaker of thistle seed into the woods to refill the feeder, frequented mostly by goldfinches and chickadees.  While I was in the woods, I spied the little Garden Gnome in his red cap.  Might as well take him in, too, I thought, since Earl convinced us to take all the extraneous candles, etc. into the house for the winter.  The dwarf was filthy, so I put him down while I stood on the highest step of the deck to water a plant and the plum tomatoes.  This accomplished I started hosing off the dwarf.  Down by the tomatoes a large butterfly.

No, a hummingbird, who came closer and closer until I could have touched him.  "Hi there!" I said.  He stayed right by me and then I realized it was the dwarf's red cap that interested her.  It was a she.  We stayed like that for a moment and she flew off and filled with  awe, I carried the dripping red-capped dwarf (gnome) into the house.

I wonder if other "hummers" have buzzed him in the tree crevasse this summer.   They buzz me when I am by the feeder, but this was special.  Resolved:  we will plant red nicotania next year.  I love my tiny birdies.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://images.flowers.vg/1024x768/nicotiana-red.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.flowers.vg/flowers/nicotiana-red.htm&usg=__F4pWlMrL_NEEn970nmw_wiBMVBs=&h=768&w=1024&sz=119&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=XUPGj6itBFg2OM:&tbnh=149&tbnw=201&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dred%2Bnicotiana%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26rlz%3D1G1GGLQ_ENUS287%26biw%3D933%26bih%3D592%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=496&vpy=99&dur=1859&hovh=167&hovw=223&tx=117&ty=78

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome!