Friday, October 30, 2009

Suck It Up

Actually, my week has been more like _uck it up! When the pressure is on, it's a bad idea to try to keep up with blogs and tweets and the like. Dashing off a few words can be deadly. So, these words will be measured.

When I am writing, every novel has a song that I associate with it, and I usually play the song over and over until it melts into every cortical fold and becomes subtext to the novel. The Shadow Warriors song was Pachebel's Canon, but, alas, I had to cut the scene with the Canon, but I still think of it as The Love Theme from The Shadow Warriors. It was a fantastically sexy scene, too. I hope to canabalize it sometime.

World of Mirrors also had it's song. Another Night by the Real McCoys. Yup, The Love Theme from World of Mirrors.

What of Promiscuous Mode? Can you believe Walk Away Renee? I must have played it a hundred times. The Love Theme From Promiscuous Mode. I Will Survive played during a key scene. I love that novel. My writing group loved the novel. Significant Other loves the book. But alas, no agent has loved the novel. Alas, alas.

And Festival Madness? Mais oui, that novel had two love themes. The first is Total Eclipse of the Heart and the other is Desenchante (please add all the accents) by Zazie and Obispo who sang it to me thru earphones on an Air France 747 over the Atlantic. So romantic. It took forever to get the CD. My brother-in-law finally sent it from Europe. Amazon wanted a godawful amount of cash and I just had to have it.

So now I'm working on my "fem jep" (woman in jeopardy) suspense novel, In Flight. So far there are two song possibilities. One is I Need to Know by Marc Anthony; the second is I'm Shipping Up To Boston by the Drop Kick Murphy's. Not too romantic. But still. It has a certain je ne sais pas and the energy it created when Papelbon came in to close a game was phenomenal. Right now I'm playing Marc Anthony. The odd thing is that song is associated with my drug lord, not the main character. I love my drug lord. He's a total play against the stereotype.

This book is, like the others, not exactly writing itself, although the beginning did, creating false confidence. I am plugging away, one sentence after another, one page, another scene and I just closed in on 75,000 words. I always write everything long and then cut. It's easier to take words out than put words in. Believe me. I cannot for the life of me write one of these 75,000 word mysteries. 75,000 words always seems like a little chicken-shit book that you can almost read in one setting, the kind of novel that you might finish before the plane lands. Horrors!

This is NaNoWriMo. National Novel Writing Month. Unfortunately, I always have a BIG EVENT in November (see beginning of this post) and it would be incredibly stupid to try to do that, too. Maybe next year. Basically, what NANOWRIMO does is give you permission to write a really shitty first draft, which is what most first drafts are, with the exception of Robert Parker who, I am told, writes such a stellar first draft that he doesn't revise. My god, I hope none of my first drafts ever see the light of day. We are talking really BAD Sentences.

Of course without a publisher breathing down my neck, I don't have to hurry and can write bad sentences with aplomb, knowing there's adequate time for rewriting.

The Huffington Post today advised calling a self-pubbed book an "independently published" book. I like that. Pretty cool, no?

I hope this lengthy post makes up for weeks of not much. I haven't tweeted (except for one disastrous boo-boo) or posted to Face Book either. Exile and cunning and all that stuff. Ha ha.

Grapeshot

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome!