Saturday, September 12, 2009

And the rains came

Not only is the tennis in NYC rained out, but the baseball in Boston. Major bummer.

I took on an unplanned major task, which was dumb, because I volunteered my skills as someone who could create specs for a web site, and yikes, pretty soon I was the chief cook and bottlewasher. Now I'm doing that, and trying to write my novel, and preparing for publication in an anthology and working on several other committees, and still there are garden tasks (sweet hummingbirds have left for southern climes, I hope) and cooking and cleaning and all the housewifery tasks which don't do themselves. No siree.

Yesterday I was sick, an outrage, because I am NEVER sick, and what was this fever, stomach ache nonsense, which laid me low, outrage and all for almost a day. Not a good week to lose a day. Today, good health returned, I got caught up, even went to the supermarket.

And I ate practically nothing and didn't lose any weight.

Total outrage.

The man burned, and I wasn't there. OMG, a very bad helicopter pilot flew low over Black Rock City with an advertising banner flowing behind. Mega-outrage.

And then, an inexperienced pilot decided to land at Black Rock International Airport in the dark. Folks, this is a two-week runway graded into the alkalai desert with the most primitive conditions and no lights at night. Nada. Somehow the crew at the airport got the plane on the ground. I have no idea how, because they were afraid it would be even more dangerous to send the pilot back over the mountains. Some good thinkers there.

Burning Man rocks and the folks at the airport rock even more. In two more days I'll be the proud possessor of a 2009 airport Burning Man sticker. In Festival Madness, yet unsold, many scenes are set at and around Burning Man and at the airport. We camped there in 2004. So I had big nostalia whiffs last weekend.

Moving along in my novel, and life goes on. I baked a dynamite coffee cake with banana, chocolate and coffee flavors. We'll see if they harmonize. What's not to like? As usual, I forgot to take a photo, and how it's all wrapped in plastic and not too photogenic.

Grapeshot

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome!