Sunday, June 14, 2009

Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler


With company coming for Saturday night, I needed a dessert that wouldn't be too much trouble. I knew the guests were rhubarb fans. When I looked thru my rhubarb collection (don't YOU have a rhubarb recipe collection? No?) I found a page torn from Penzey's Spices catalog.

Anyone reading this blog knows I adore Penzeys Spices, http://www.penzeys.com/. The recipe was for Strawberry-Rhubarb Cobbler, and was simple to the point of learning to cook. So, we went to the supermarket and paid $5.99 per pound for rhubarb, the first I've seen. This is highway robbery, but by then I was determined. Strawberries, the next day, were on sale.

The topping consisted of ingredients from the pantry. I had some vanilla sugar in my spices, and the hardest thing about the entire recipe was laying my hands on the damned vanilla sugar. Finally found it. Made some more to be on the safe side.

This recipe received high marks from everyone, and can be served with either vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. I was the sole holdout for whipped cream; everyone else voted vanilla.

Here is the link to the recipe. Of course you can buy Penzeys vanilla sugar and save 20 minutes groping around the spice shelf. I love their rubs, as well. Yummo.

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/recipes/r-penzeysrhubarbcobbler.html

Photo will follow tomorrow, when S.O. delivers it to me from his camera.

Grapeshot

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome!