Tuesday, April 01, 2008

The Bad Trip

Bad Trip is the name of my new short story, which I had hoped to finish and polish in time to send into Level Best Books, but it didn't happen, because home nursing care and hospital visits are not conducive to writing.

Bad Trip is based on a true story, and then the "what if" appears. I had to do research on:
1) sleazy Memphis motels, 2) crack houses, 3) what pimps wear, 4)how pimps talk, 5)cost of disposable diapers and formula, even large Snickers Bars, 6) what Crack Cocaine smells like, 7) how pimps treat their "girls."

I got so hungry in CVS (researching baby supply costs) that I bought a bag (no longer comes in a box) of Cracker Jacks. No trans fat, but they tasted like the always did (good). I'm all for childish pleasures.
Writing Bad Trip was lots of fun, actually, and I have more ideas for short stories. If I can't sell it after a year, I'll publish it on Amazon Shorts.

Is today when the grand prize winner of the Amazon novel contest is announced? I'll have to take a look. April 15 is a date that stays in my head, and not just for tax reasons. The tax situation this year is a train wreck. Can't seem to figure this financing of retirement out. There must be tax software that allows you to plan as you go. Maybe even Money or Quicken. Arrrgh. Hate counting beans, even my own.

Sunday at dinner, I had a mouthful of applesauce, and suddenly there was something hard in my mouth--like a piece of walnut, and can you believe it was my silver crown with part of the tooth attached. Just fell off. Talk about freaking out! Fortunately, there is no pain involved, just a really weird mess when I put my tongue up there, and I have a dentist appointment today.

The federal, state,excise and property taxes have all conveniently come due this month along with the health insurance and fancy Florida restaurant meals. and the blood thinner which is more precious than rubies. Kind of a month long April Fool! The $1200 from Uncle Sam in May is lookin' pretty good, and we will determine for sure if money buys happiness.

I have a very large cat on my lap who is kissing my hand, so life is good. She knows what "kiss" means. Also, "do you want some catnip?" and "would you like to go into the garage?" But I forget myself. Friday is cat blog day.

Not fooled by April one bit.

Grapeshot

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome!