Thursday, April 12, 2007

Another Vonnegut Obit

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-vonnegut12apr12,0,3447222.story?coll=la-home-headlines

Below is the page that Vonnegut "edited" for me at the BCAE years ago. I recall being very nervous and maybe a little bit proud.

From The Shadow Warriors ©

In her old blue Opel, Marlies and I drove into the countryside where she knew a farmer who sold the freshest eggs. Holger sat enthroned in a car seat in back. Over and over he intoned in a singsong voice, "Laterne, Laterne, Sonne, Mond, und Sterne.".
What really chewed at my nerves wasn't Holger, but how to broach the subject of Georgi's warning. Instead of getting to the point, I described how to make Caesar salad, the little restaurant in Tijuana where it originated, the pros and cons of anchovies, the absolute need for raw eggs, homemade croutons, anything, anything, but say, "Marlies, don't talk to your ex-boyfriend in Berlin anymore, because the BKGB might kill us if the software exchange takes place."
I said it on the way back to town. After we bought the eggs. After Holger chased the chickens. After he sang "Laterne, Laterne, Sonne, Mond, und Sterne,” for the sixtieth time. I said exactly those words because they were the only ones I could think of.
Marlies braked the car to a standstill on the country road. In the distance, dark forested hills rose above Göttingen.
She turned and asked, "What are you telling me?"
"We have been warned. I just thought you better know."
"Who is warning ‘us’?" Her voice was icy, not scared.
"The people Luby was working for."
"I don't remember hearing such warnings when you were begging me to be the intermediary."
"I didn't think..."
"You didn't think!" She pounded her fist on the dashboard. Holger stopped singing and made a whimpering sound.
"You didn't think!"
"Jeez, Marlies, I'm sorry. Listen, I don't have any reason to believe that they know about you. It was just sort of a...generic warning. But he acts like maybe he knows who the negotiators are and I just thought..."
"You didn't think!"
"Yes, we've already established that." I said.
"What can I do?" She seemed to be asking the countryside, the hills, and the fields. Holger sang the lantern song again.
I tried to reassure her.
"Maybe this guy just likes to scare people. I don't actually know that he's ever hurt anyone...at least any woman,” I amended. "And of course as a foreign national he wouldn't want to get in trouble here. He's a professional, Marlies. He wants Luby. And Mittelstadt's software. We're just in the way."
"And that makes it all right?" Her voice dripped sarcasm as she turned on the ignition. We drove the narrow road in silence.
"I'm sorry," I said.
"Of course." Her voice was bitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome!