Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Inconspicuous Consumption

Boston not only has Filene's Basement, but Building 19 and Ocean State Job Lot. There is a Job Lot not far from where we live. It has a big grocery department. No meat, no produce, but excellent chocolate, cookies, jams,coffee, pasta, sauces, you name it at fantastic prices. They have some clever marketing, advising customers to create a gift basket. I bought fleece pajamas bottoms, rechristened "Lounge Pants" by the wild and crazy people in marketing. Of course I didn't put those in anyone's gift basket. So tackey, loung pants in a gift basket.

I lose gloves by the gross. You wouldn't believe how many gloves I lose. This week I lost my next to last pair, and with winter coming on. . . well, you know. The Job Lot had name brand gloves for up to 80% off the retail price. Bought two pair, one normal and one funky (chartreuse + deep green stripes). I figure the funky ones are too ugly to get lost right away.

Significant Other has reading glass from the Job Lot all over the house. At a buck a pair, he stocks up. We both like a bargain. Not for us the inside page of the NY Times with the Gucci bags and shoes, the gold watches, the dazzling diamonds. Conspicuous Consumption to the max. Here's to Inconspicuous Consumption!

Building 19 is even funkier. I found two of my best favorite bowls there, along with the oriental runner in the entry hall, and a Burberry Duffel coat which was mis-sized and stuck in the Men's Department instead of the Ladies. Naturally it didn't fit the guys. Ha ha.

About twenty years ago I bought a four ply purple v-neck cashmere sweater at Filene's basement for $25.00. The label said "Nieman Marcus." It's still going strong. Guess the moths don't like that royal purple.

I hope you are spreading the wealth around and not shopping strictly on Newbury Street and at Copley Place. Otherwise you will miss the chartreuse and forest green gloves at the Job Lot. And lots of other good stuff cheap. Oops, no, that's Building 19.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome!