Sunday, October 01, 2006

Hannah, Bar the Door! There's Nudes in the Art Museum!

Let me preface this by stating my great grandpa was an itinterant Baptist preacher who rode a mule through the mountains of North Georgia preaching the Good Word.

And in the years between 1910 and 1920, a good portion on the family moved from North Georgia to Texas, stayed thru part of the Depression and then moved back to Georgia. I have deep redneck roots, and proud of them.

There is a difference, however, between Southern Baptist, and crazed, out-of-control whiny-butt stupid-assed parent. Click on the following link:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/30/education/30teacher.html?_r=1&ref=education&oref=slogin

The teacher, with a bunch of chaperones, took the kiddies on a field trip to an art musuem. There, they saw a naked something: man, woman, faun. The teacher lost her job. Are we living in a demented world or what? I hope that family doesn't ever venture to Florence and run across naked as a jaybird David in a square. What do they do? Blindfold the kids and lead them out of there? Freak out and sue the city of Florence for unbridled art? Have a pray-in?

Confession: when I was in junior high, my girl friend and I collected stamps. Somewhere we read about and saw an ad for the Naked Maja and just Had to Have That Stamp! We sent away for it on the sly, and it duly arrived. My mom knew I was collecting stamps and wouldn't have cared anyhow. We inspected the stamp. By god, it was indeed a naked woman. How about that? And that was kind of the end of it. Cool stamp. Glad I have it in my collection. On to the next exotic country with really colorful stamps, lots of birds and animals. http://www.artchive.com/artchive/G/goya/goya_nude_maja.jpg.html

The weasle ass here isn't the parent, although it is hard to imagine anyone actually complaining about a nude statue in an art museum. This isn't France where "an astounding canvas by Courbet called The Origin of the World, which now hangs in the Musee d'Orsay in Paris. " (Slate). I wonder if the French kiddies traispe through the Musee d'Orsay. I wonder whether anyone even notices. Yeah, they must.

The weasle ass is the school board and the administration. Can you imagine a more spineless, reactionary bunch? I'm glad none of my progeny had to suffer thru that school. http://www.friscoisd.org/ Another confession: oldest child (male) in museum with father. Sculpture of woman's upper torso on view, probably brass, shall we say lovingly polished. "Wow, Daddy, look at those bosoms!" Daddy looked and had a good chuckle. Was child warped for life? I don't think so.

So my fantasy is to have thousands of people (with a lot of sharp lawyers along) show up in that weird Texas town and take off their clothes and run around au naturel when school lets out. That would be something to talk about.
Who would they arrest 10,000 people? Or maybe have an aging Hugh Hefner and his playmates come to town for a parade and to share some philsophy. The ideas are coming in like kamikazees. I'll bet you can think up some fun stuff, too. Rodin, Michelangeo, Goya, Picasso.

Bet they aren't reading Catcher in the Rye in that school. Bet they aren't reading Song of Solomon or much else of literary value. See Dick run. Dick is running the hell out of there. Jane is right behind them. They are running from narrow-mindedness and prudery. They are running like hell.

Grapeshot

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome!