Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Cheese Twists

I know. I know. This should be a post about writing.
The bad news is that I have just discovered my novel has gone astray- all the tension has disappeared. Too much fol-der-ole. Now I have to fix it. The good new is that just about anything can be fixed. I will discuss how I am going about this is a subsequent post. Right now, it's time for a recipe.

Back when I was an almost perfect corporate wife, we entertained Significant Other's office people frequently. One woman always arrived with the following goodies which were exceedingly welcome. She gave me the recipe, which I just started making a few years ago. Believe it or not, these travel well and keep well. One of these days I'll do a bit of experimenting and determine how to make the dough in a cuisinart. You can probably figure it out. Beware! These things are addictive and they ain't low-cal.

Cheese Twists

1 cup freshly grated Swiss Cheese
3 T. grated Cheddar cheese
3 T. grated Parmesan cheese
¾ cup + 2 T. butter
2 ½ cups flour
1 t. salt
1 egg, well beaten
1 ½ T. milk
1 T. poppy seeds
1 T. coarse (Kosher) salt ( or less, to taste)

Combine grated cheeses. Mix with a fork until
mixture is like coarse meal. Sift together flour
and salt. Add ½ cup of the cheese mixture. *
Cut in butter with pastry blender. Stir in egg and
milk. Round up like pie crust.
Divide dough in half; chill both portions for 1 hour
(or overnight).

Add 1 T. poppy seeds and 1 T. coarse salt to remaining cheese mixture.
Using half of the dough at a time, roll
out on a lightly floured board to a little less than ¼ inch.
Brush with a little egg white; sprinkle evenly with half of the
Remaining poppyseed cheese mixture.

Cut into strips 3 inches by one-half inch. Place on
ungreased baking sheet. Bake in moderate hot oven,
375 degrees, for about 15 minutes or until golden.

Repeat with remaining half of dough.
Makes 60 to 72 straws.

These can be frozen.
*Refrigerate remaining cheese mixture until needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome!